Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dumplings

My mother in laws recipe for dumplings. I make them with chicken and they are so easy. I usually make 1 and a half recipes for a family.

3 Tablespoons shortening
1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. milk

Cut shortening into flour, baking powder and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot meat or vegetables in boiling stew or broth. (try not to drop straight into boiling liquid.)
Cook uncovered 10 minutes
Cover and cook 10 minutes longer, stiring occasionally.

I usually add a can of Cream of Chicken soup for added flavor.
Katy

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think to add that you need to cook your chicken and debone, if you need to, before you add dumplings....I figure everyone knows that.

    ReplyDelete