Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Panko Chicken

I love this recipe and so do all of my kids and Mickey. Mickey is not a big chicken eater, so when I find a chicken recipe that he likes, it's like kicking the winning field goal for me. :-)
This is one of those recipes that I eyeball. I have adapted it over the years of making it. Experiment with it.

Panko bread crumbs are Japanese bread crumbs. Panko is made from bread without crusts, thus it has a crisper, airier texture than most types of breading found in Western cuisine. I buy my Panko crumbs at our Air Force commissary. Any ethnic store should carry them, and I just recently saw that Progresso has their own line of Panko crumbs. (Although, I bet the Japanese ones are the best) :-D
When we eat chicken we prefer thighs. I buy boneless skin-less thighs because they are so much more moist than chicken breast. Last night I made panko chicken and threw in some breast tenderloins and it just wasn't as moist. So definately use thighs! :-D

Here goes:
Ingredients:
Panko crumbs
2 1/2 to 3 lbs. Chicken pieces (we always use thighs)
Butter (1 or 2 sticks)
garlic (I mince two or three or even four cloves)
1 pkg. panko crumbs
parsley flakes (eyeball it... they are more for color than flavor)
1/3 to 1/2 Cup parmesean cheese
Salt and pepper to taste (I'd use about 1 tbsp. salt to 1 tsp. pepper)


Melt butter and put the minced garlic in with it.
In another dish, mix panko crumbs, parm cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley flakes.....the last three ingredients are just, well...to your taste.
Then you dip the chicken pieces into the butter/garlic mixture, then into the panko mixture. Place these on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes @ 350. (Our chicken is always boneless)
That's it, I think. It's very easy, but yummy, I mean....anything with butter and garlic has got to be good. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I LOVE panko bread crumbs. They are great on anything, but I'm with you, our favorite is chicken. I haven't used them in a while. Thanks for the reminder!! We will be having this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried the panko bread crumbs but I see them in my future! I love chicken.
    I know chicken breasts are supposed to be better for you but I don't like to cook with them. I agree that they just aren't as moist.
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a chicken breast family. (I prefer dark meat, but when cooked properly, I enjoy the breast too.) Here's what we do when I use the panko bread crumbs. I pound out the breasts first! This way they cook quickly and nice and even. Also, instead of baking I pan fry them. Just a quick browning on each side and they come out very flavorful and juicy. Give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete